Helping families through the loss of a loved one is more than a job − it's a calling. And at Delta Cargo, we're honored to play our part in such a delicate and emotional process, so you can take comfort knowing the remains entrusted to you will be handled with dignity.
Through Delta Cares, we provide compassionate and professional service to funeral directors responsible for transporting their most precious cargo. You'll receive sensitive, personalized travel assistance and customer support, including:
- Airport-to-airport service
- Priority handling and boarding
- A dedicated team of agents
- Expedited handling to minimize time in transit
And for the service men and women who have sacrificed their lives in defense of our country, we offer our Fallen Soldier Program. We provide dedicated equipment and procedures to ensure all soldiers are treated with honor and respect. Delta's Fallen Soldier program also complies with government regulations, and a U.S. Military Escort may accompany the remains of a U.S. Service Member at all times.
Ready to book? For international origin shipments, contact your local Delta Cargo Sales office to learn more about all of our services.
What you need to know
- We accept a wide range of cases, with a variety of flexible shipping options to help make your experience as smooth and seamless as possible.
- Remains may be tendered either embalmed or unembalmed, combination, or casketed. Dry ice, gel packs, transfer cases, Ziegler cases, full-size and irregular size cases are also accepted. One floral spray up to 48"L x 32"W x 8"H may accompany the remains.
- Shipping rates will vary based on origin, destination, dimensions and weight of shipment.
- Appropriate documentation must accompany all shipments, including signed certificate of death, burial permit and/or burial removal permit as required by state law.
- To assist handlers in aircraft loading and unloading operations, please identify the head end on the outside of the shipping container.
- Certain aircraft limitations may apply. Please contact the Delta Cares Service Desk to book any shipment over 500 lbs.
- Cremains are accepted as long as they are sufficiently protected and packaged.
- Until further notice, Delta has placed a complete embargo on all cargo to/from/thru the following countries on Delta or Delta Connection aircraft regardless of the AWB stock: Cuba, Iran, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Myanmar (Burma), Egypt, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen
- Shipments must be accepted and processed by the cutoff time of 120 minutes prior to scheduled flight departure. We recommend arriving at least 60 minutes prior to this cutoff time to ensure all inspections and acceptance procedures are completed.
- Shipments must be accepted and processed by the cutoff time of 240 minutes prior to scheduled flight departure. We recommend arriving at least 120 minutes prior to this cutoff time to ensure all inspections and acceptance procedures are completed.
- Human remains shipments are available for pickup within 120 minutes of actual domestic flight arrival time or within 240 minutes of actual international flight time.
- Cremated remains can be accepted as either carry-on, checked baggage or shipped unaccompanied as cargo. The passenger must have a death or cremation certificate.
- Carry-on crematory containers must pass through the x-ray machine. Containers must be made of a material that does not prevent the screener from clearly being able to see what is inside. Otherwise, the container will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Passengers may also transport an urn as checked baggage, provided it successfully passes through screening.
- Unaccompanied cremated remains must be shipped as cargo by a verified shipper. Containers must be made of a material that does not prevent the screener from clearly being able to see what is inside.